Saturday, January 10, 2015

Friday, Day 8 - Śt. Thomas

(Broke my golden rule. I'm journaling this Saturday on the plane. When we got back to our cabin after dinner last night I discovered I had, apparently, accidentally packed my glasses in my suitcase. No glasses, no journaling. So I turned in a bit earlier.)

After breakfast at Blu we went down to the port to find a taxi to the beach. We weren't sure if we would end up at Saffire or Coki Beach. The guy we ran into said the snorkeling was the best at Coki so off we set. It was probably a 20-25 min drive. St. Thomas is the most developed island. It's very Americanized in town. Out by the beach was, however, a different story. I wasn't impressed with island when we were there last year but we didn't see that much of it. I'm sure there's still plenty to see but I wasn't impressed this time either. The area the beach is in was a bit rough looking. And just dirty. The beach was ok. The first thing we noticed was all the snorkelers in the water. The water was beautiful and the snorkeling ended up being really good, especially in comparison to the rest of the week. This beach was a pretty small cove and it got a little crowded but not too bad. We'd probably go there again. 



The water was cool but seemed warmer than at the other beaches. Knowing it was our last day We took full advantage of it and was in the water most of the day. After we took our first dip, we broke out the gear. What was so nice about this site was being able to just walk out and snorkel to our hearts' conten, then come back to shore and rest ... Then do it all over again! We had a ball!!







Would you believe they actually sell dog bones to feed the fish with? FRO. Bob dropped a piece of a granola bar in the sand so I took that out to see if they'd eat it. Sure enough. It was friggin' AWESOME!! Video Here's some more of all the fish:


We packed up about 2:30 since the taxi would be back to pick us up at 3:00. We were so thrilled we got to use our snorkel gear and see some fish. Today was what we were hoping the rest of the week was going to be like. But at least we got one good day. 

Back in our cabin we got ready to go to the sauna one last time. Believe me, we needed to detox. After the herbal steam room I sat out on the heated stone benches for a while. Good grief! I was a limp dishrag coming out of there. I met Gigi on the way out. She had already sucked a mojito down, enjoyed her turkey burger on her balcony and was enjoying an ice cream cone. LOL. Well hells bells guess I'm having a burger too. 8Ball and Jacques was still steaming it up so she sat with me while I ate my burger. About the time I finished Jacques found us and decided he needed a burger too, so we both sat with him while he ate. 8Ball was still nowhere to be found. They headed off to their cabin and I went looking for him. He was really enjoying his sauna buzz. Then I sat with him while heate his burger. LOL. We just couldn't get our act together this afternoon. 

After we both got our showers and were somewhat presentable, we went down to Blu to pick up the bottle of wine we started last night and had planned to finish in there tonight. After our day beaching and snorkeling in the sun we decided we were going to slum it tonight, especially since we had to pack everything up. Talk about a major buzz killer. Anyway, we got our bottle of wine and enjoyed it on our balcony one last time while watching the sunset.  Or so we thought. We didn't really get a sunset tonight. The ship wasn't facing the right direction heading back to San Juan. 

Sadly, we couldn't put off packing any longer so we just got to it. Our bags had to be outside our door by 11pm. We had to put what we needed for Saturday in a duffle bag. 8Ball remembered to keep shoes out this year. :) (Story from last year: Bob realized getting ready for breakfast the morning of departure that he had packed all of his shoes in his luggage. Yup. All of them. He had to go down to breakfast in his socks. We still laugh our asses off about that. Everyone in the restaurant got the biggest kick out of that. I made a sympathetic move and took my shoes off too just so he wouldn't feel so alone. LOL. Unless we had to walk down the gang plank and it was raining. I drew the line there. After we got our luggage in customs he got a pair of shoes on his feet. True story!)

It took a lot of energy to do all that packing so we went up to Mazy's (Ocean Cafe) for a snack. About half way through our meal we were delighted when Mazy found us. He had been down to Blu looking for us. Said he went down there last night looking for us too but he was a little too late, we had already left. He is such a sweetheart. He didn't have much time to spend chatting but wanted to buy us a round of drinks and give us his contact info so we can keep in touch and hopefully reconnect again when we're back next year. That was priceless. He is a gem. 

After reminiscing about another fabulous cruise together (and we still like each other!) and sharing some laughs we went back to our cabins. Which is when I discovered I didn't have my glasses. So early night for me.

Last night to be rocked to sleep. I'm not ready. Ya know, when we took our first cruise to the Caribbean last year we read about back to back cruises. I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to do that. LOL. Yeah. I get it now. Not ready to leave the sunshine, beautiful beaches, warm breezes, being rocked to sleep, being waited on and pampered. But all good things must come to an end I supposed. Already counting down to January 9, 2016.  

Lights out!





No comments:

Post a Comment